Friday, September 28, 2012

Keeping up with Honey Boo Snookie

I'm beating a farm animal here but let's do it! What is 'normal'?  I'm not normal.  That's an absolute statement.  I was unfortunate enough to be sitting in my den... I think I had pressed pause on  a TLC  program, when I pressed the button to return to "live" TV, there it was.  The show I morally had tried to ignore.   The  scenes that laid before me were unsettling, yet very, hmmmm.... Self-assuring.  My family, as weird and "unique" as they are, including myself, seem so freakin' normal and boring compared to these folks!   We live in the South, but we've never owned a four wheeler, played in mud, or interacted with livestock in any way.
   Why do we watch this shit? I have a theory, and it all starts with those 'hoarders' shows.  My mother has always said my house is not clean... I think it's pretty clean.  BUT, if I watch an episode of 'Hoarders' then I feel like freakin Martha Stewart with an OCD nanny!  So I have absolved myself to the very obvious fact that we watch these shows because we can justify our normalcy.  I. E. "My family is soooo normal cause these guys are extremely screwed up.".  I just want  to say "Thanks" to these people willing to be exploited! Even though I reject the reinforced stereotype of the Deep
South, knowing that these families exist, makes me feel damn good about my complicated family.  As bad as the economy gets, my daughter does not talk with her tummy or sleep past noon.  But why, oh why, must your ratings beat the presidential speeches?  That.. THAT MY FRIENDS, IS OUR PROBLEM.    

No comments:

Post a Comment